Sunday 26 October 2008

In the beginning ...

... I, along with many other Open University students, was sent an e-mail by Professor Darrel Ince seeking volunteers to join a mass writing project. The aim? Very simple! Take approximately 85 individuals, who prior to signing up for this project, in the main, are unknown to each other, and get them to write a book about Processing, a Java-based computer-art environment.

OK, so why am I doing this?

Well, a number of reasons:
  1. It is a good opportunity to explore new ways of working; collaborating with individuals mainly via the Internet has many potential advantages and disadvantages. This is an ideal opportunity to gain experience first hand.
  2. To get used to academic writing. I will (hopefully) be writing a dissertation for my MSc in a few years time, so any writing experience I can get in the mean time will be useful. I just need to finish the PGDip first!
  3. To attempt to explain technical and mathematical subject matter in manner that those with little or no technical or mathematical knowledge can understand. Techies are notoriously bad at being able to explain themselves in simple language, and I include myself in that.
  4. To learn a new technology; I had never even heard of Processing prior to this project.
  5. I am hoping to tie this project in to the next unit of my PGDip, which is Project management. I need to e-mail my course tutor to check if he deems this to be a suitable project, in terms of the course requirements and objectives.
  6. To have some fun!
So, what next?
  1. Download, install and play with the Processing environment. Done.
  2. Order Ira Greenberg's book that the OU is very kindly buying for each of us. Done.
  3. Choose a chunk to write. Done.
Obviously, there is loads of other stuff to do (like write some words and code), but the above will keep my busy for a while.

No comments: